To create the Missouri Lottery’s 2018 calendar, the Lottery partnered with Missouri State Parks, a division of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, and enlisted the help of state park lovers and Lottery players.
“Our two state agencies were already working together to develop the Lottery’s very popular ‘Second Chance of a Lifetime: Summer Parks Sensation’ promotion. Continuing our partnership to coincide with our 2018 calendar contest was an easy decision,” said May Scheve Reardon, executive director of the Missouri Lottery.
For many years, Lottery players submitted photos in the Lottery’s calendar contest based on themes ranging from cats versus dogs to Missouri hometowns.
The 2018 calendar contest, “Show Me State Parks,” challenged respondents to enter their photos of their favorite parks through the Lottery’s Facebook page, Twitter account, website or by mail to any Lottery office.
“The response for this contest was overwhelming,” said Reardon. “We received more than 700 entries into the contest, the most we’ve ever collected. Missourians love their state parks.”
A total of 13 photos of state parks and historical sites were selected to appear in the Lottery’s 2018 calendar: one cover photo and one photo for each month of the year. Contest winners, as listed below, received a photo credit and copies of the calendar. The cover photo photographer received $500, and each of the 12 monthly photographers received $100 in Scratchers tickets.
“The success of this contest, and our promotion last summer, serves as a testament to how agencies within state government can work together toward a common goal using their own strengths,” said Reardon.
“When those strengths are one-of-a-kind natural beauty and innovative entertainment, the results speak for themselves.”
The 2018 calendar contest winners, and the state park or historic site they photographed, include:
• Cover — Karen McCarty-Wright of Union; Edward “Ted” and Pat Jones-Confluence Point State Park.
• January — Davina Brown of Crystal City; Dr. Edmund A. Babler Memorial State Park.
• February — Kelly Fite of O’Fallon; Onondaga Cave State Park.
• March — Mike Bardot of St. Louis; Bennett Spring State Park.
• April — Diane Kroupa of St. Louis; Sandy Creek Covered Bridge State Historic Site.
• May — Gary Adams of Pevely; Lake of the Ozarks State Park.
• June — Bob Krause of Lake St. Louis; Johnson’s Shut-Ins State Park.
• July — Karen McCarty-Wright of Union; Dillard Mill State Historic Site.
• August — Rex Blake of Joplin; Stockton State Park.
• September — Tyler Sloan of Imperial; Mastodon State Historic Site.
• October — Christopher Schultz of St. Robert; Ha Ha Tonka State Park.
• November — Travis Van Buren of Wildwood; Elephant Rocks State Park.
• December — Travis Van Buren of Wildwood; Castlewood State Park.
To view all winning photos, visit www.molottery.com/extras/18photo_contest/winners.shtm.