From the February archives of the River Hills Traveler:
1 year ago
• More than 500 people turned out for the final open house on the DGMP at Powder Valley Nature Center in Kirkland.
• Bowfin fish fight hard to stay in the water and can give an angler’s fingers a painful bite. This great article written by Aaron Horrell contains bowfin fish information and fishing.
5 years ago
• Goggle-eyes have bulging eyes and a large mouth giving them the look of a largemouth and a bluegill. They are usually very dark with an olive brown or bronze color with dark spots or splotches. (Tim Huffman)
• Although Missouri isn’t known as a maple syrup producing state, the Missouri Department of Conservation’s Anna-Lisa Tucker knows that Missourians have been producing and selling maple syrup since at least 1824. (Steve Felgenhauer)
10 years ago
• The Missouri Smallmouth Alliance announced plans for the inaugural Bronzeback Banquet. The event was to feature Tim Holschlag and John Graham as guest speakers.
• The Conservation Commission approved an expanded fall wild turkey season, but is keeping the spring season pretty much as-is the past few years.