As the summer continues and fall approaches I will be giving you the results of some my product field testing and performance reviews.
Just know that these reviews are based on personal use and experience. I do not get paid for these reviews and do not work for the manufacturers of any of these products.
In fact, for every positive field test and thumbs-up review, there are 10-12 other similar products that were simply not good enough to take my time and your money.
If a review shows up here it is because the product performed at or above expectations. That having been said, let’s get into today’s review.
Piscifun is a relatively new tackle company here in the United States. I have used a couple of their reels and today I would like to tell you about their new Torrent baitcaster reel.
I liked this reel right out of the box. It looks amazing and the specs were impressive. But looks and specs do not a great reel make. It was only after a half-dozen trips that I truly became hooked on this reel.
The Piscifun Torrent baitcasting reel has an 18-lb. carbon fiber drag with 7.1:1 gear ratio. Also important to anglers are the anti-corrosion gears and bearings in the both the saltwater and freshwater baitcaster versions.
Here are just a few of the specs that caught my eye;
• Magnetic brake.
• CNC-machined brass gear ensures a strong drag system and durability with 7.1:1 gear ratio. A fast and powerful retrieve offer the ultimate fishing performance.
• Precise gears paired with 3-layer high grade carbon fiber drag washers provide an ultra-strong 18-lb. drag system with power to handle the big ones that you are after. The 4.33-inch extended aluminum crank handle gives the angler the leverage and power needed to pull the biggest fish out of the thickest cover.
• The corrosion resistant premium gears and superior quality stainless steel bearings ensure the smoothness of this reel. Anglers can be confident in both fresh and saltwater when using the Torrent.
• This reel boasts an accurate and effective 0-10 magnetic brake, providing the angler with on-the-fly tournament ready adjustments. Double line winding shafts increase the winding stability and durability.
• A unique screwed oil hole in the side-plate helps you quickly and efficiently lubricate in order to lengthen reel life and maximize performance. Novice and pro anglers alike will benefit from this easy method, no more lost or broken parts for basic maintenance.
Now let’s talk about performance. As I said, I have used this reel most of this season. I have caught about a hundred bass with it of all sizes. This reel is lightweight and I can throw it all day. Because it is both lightweight and durable, I cannot wait until this fall to restring it with heavier line for my musky fishing. I will give you the results of those field tests, as well.
I really like the drag system on the Torrent. It is smooth and very easy to adjust when a bigger than expected fish hits you. And I was particularly impressed with the amount of line that is spooled with each 360-degree turn of the handle. It can rip baits when the need arises.
I mounted this new reel on a heavy action rod because that is how I evaluate its castability (that might just be a new a word I just made up). Level-wind fishermen know what I mean.
On the right lightweight rod you can make any reel perform admirably. But if you put a baitcaster on a really heavy rod you can really see what it is made of. The Torrent performed very well on this rod.
Now for the best news! The price point on this new reel is currently under $50. After having fished with this reel and knowing the price, I could not help but recommend it to my readers. I do not think you will be disappointed.
I just got a Piscifun spinning reel and will begin my field testing and evaluation on the Destroyer MX20 very soon.
Piscifun, go with family!
By Mike Roux